Monday 8 May 2017

movie locations and other cool places to visit

Growing up in the eighties I became a big fan of the horror movies of that time. I have fond memories of ordering Poltergiest from the video shop one afternoon with the my best friend in the summer holidays and watching in a darkened room, with snacks, behind the requisite cushion. Then going out in the bright sunlight to the park and analysing every scene as to how much could be based on a true story.

I also liked The Shining, Halloween (1978 movie), IT, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Amityville, Duel etc etc
I still havent summoned up the courage to watch "The Texas Chainsaw massacre" but I have to watch it.

Anyway, today in my lunchbreak I found this rather cool website:
http://www.thennowmovielocations.com
where the website owner has tracked down a ton of movie locations and posted then and now shots with helpful maps.

When I retire we have to go on an enormous road trip to visit all this plus where ET was shot and Centralia in PA. Centralia is an odd place and one which won my curiosity courtesy of Bill Brysons book "A walk in the woods". It's a town thats had an out of control underground fire thats been burning for years and years and cannot be stopped as its in a coalseam. You can still visit it although the road is now closed and see where smoke is quietly coming out of the ground. Apparently a few stubborn residents still live there as they refused to leave, even though their basement walls are warm. Beats me why anyone would do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment