Tuesday 6 June 2017

Remember when you badly wanted everything that you now have

The UK seems to be really going through the wringer the last few months what with London x 2 now and Manchester. All tragedies, all affecting people who are now living with loss, painful loss. And now its a country with guidance along the lines of "run, hide, tell". I was a child who grew up in the era of the IRA but this feels beyond that to me. That was normal to me (sadly) at age 5. "Run, hide, tell" is guidance that I never thought I would witness there, and I never want to accept as "normal".

So, this morning on my way to work whilst pondering the minor aggravations that are a normal part of (everyones) day I was brought up short by remembering a meme I saw recently that  I cannot, of course, find now. In short it said, and I cant recall it precisly

"Remember when you badly wanted everything that you now have"

I remember when I would walk to meet the person picking me up for my first job (couldnt drive then and had no car) and in that walk would wish that I lived in Canada, in a Canadian home, drove a VW Golf (a red Golf, was the wish at that time in 1991) in a job I loved, married to a great man with children that I adore.
Well, I have all that, and more....
I live in Canada, have a Golf (its grey but meh I love it), a husband I adore, two girls I am so proud of and love more than anything, a Canadian house, a job I love, a swimming pool (that was beyond 90s dreaming), my horse, dogs and cats, my health, my friends and extended family..... Everyday I live this life.
That means I have to put it all into perspective and be damned grateful and stop focusing on the small shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment